The Effect of B, Al, N, and P Impurities on the Electronic Structure of Si0.3Sn0.7Ge alloy: A First-Principles Approach
This study examines the effect of doping Si0.3Sn0.7Ge with an impurity element X (B, Al, N, or P) on the Sn site, using first-principle calculations based on the fully self-consistent Korringa-Kohn-Rostoker method with the coherent potential approximation (KKR-CPA). To treat several forms of chemical disorders of Si0.3Sn0.7Ge, X-doping was carried out by substituting small amounts of Sn with each element X, which gives rise to the alloy Si0.3Sn0.7-yXyGe. As the X content increases from y = 0.01 to 0.06, the Fermi level maintains its position in the conduction band edge. While the number of states at the Fermi level decreases. With 1% X impurity added to the alloy Si0.3Sn0.7-yXyGe, the number of carriers (electron and hole) states was generally enhanced. For the case of X = P, when compared to the parent material Si0.3Sn0.7Ge, an enhancement of 0.04 states/eV was observed. Due to the increase in the number of states, which indicates an improvement in thermopower, these alloys Si0.3Sn0.7-yXyGe are promising for application as n-type electrodes in a thermoelectric generator (TEG).
2. Chen, Z. G., Han, G., Yang, L., Cheng, L., & Zou, J. (2012). Nanostructured thermoelectric materials: Current research and future challenge. Progress in Natural Science: Materials International, 22(6), 535-549.
3. Ebert, H., Koedderitzsch, D., & Minar, J. (2011). Calculating condensed matter properties using the KKR-Green's function method—recent developments and applications. Reports on Progress in Physics, 74(9), 096501.
4. Francioso, L., De Pascali, C., Farella, I., Martucci, C., Cretì, P., Siciliano, P., & Perrone, A. (2011). Flexible thermoelectric generator for ambient assisted living wearable biometric sensors. Journal of Power Sources, 196(6), 3239-3243.
5. He, J., & Tritt, T. M. (2017). Advances in thermoelectric materials research: Looking back and moving forward. Science, 357(6358).
6. Ouserigha, C. E., & Ogobiri, G. E. (2021, April). First-principles investigation of the electronic and thermoelectric properties of SiGe doped with Sn and one percent B. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (Vol. 730, No. 1, p. 012001). IOP Publishing.
7. Peng, Y., Miao, L., Gao, J., Liu, C., Kurosawa, M., Nakatsuka, O., & Zaima, S. (2019). Realizing High Thermoelectric Performance at Ambient Temperature by Ternary Alloying in Polycrystalline Si 1-xy Ge x Sn y Thin Films with Boron Ion Implantation. Scientific Reports, 9(1), 1-9.
8. Vosko, S. H., Wilk, L., & Nusair, M. (1980). Accurate spin-dependent electron liquid correlation energies for local spin density calculations: a critical analysis. Canadian Journal of Physics, 58(8), 1200-1211.
Copyright (c) 2022 Collins E. Ouserigha, Ayibapreye K. Benjamin
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.