The Dimension of Textile use in the Expression of Verbal Creativity
The article investigates the Baltic pre-service Technology teachers' expression of verbal creativity in their final years of study and analyzes the constituent dimension of sustainable textile consumption. The students' verbal creativity was examined using a verbal expression questionnaire compiled following the methodological recommendations of E. P. Torrance for diagnosing a person’s creativity. The development of sustainable textile consumption is part of the Technological education curriculum analyzing responsible consumption issues that are becoming more complex. In most cases, education directly depends on the educator's knowledge, skills, values, habits, experience, and communication. The present research disclosed students – pre service teachers understanding that handicrafts are not related to ethnicity, values, or a phenomenon, which calls for exceptional protection. The integral model of tasks on identification/development of verbal creativity expression and identification/development of sustainable textile consumption was presented in the article.
2. Bloom, B. S. Ed. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives: The classification of educational goals. Handbook 1: Cognitive domain. New York: David McKay.
3. Bradley, F. (2012). Creativity: does place matter?, London Review of Education, 10(2): 145–157. DOI: 10.1080/14748460.2012.691280
4. Čirčin, N. (2016). Overview of Didactic Methodical Organization of University Teaching by Bologna Concept of Higher education, Interdisciplinary Description of Complex Systems, 14(1): 52–60. Doi: 10.7906/indecs.14.1.5
5. Croft, A., Schmader, T., & Block, K. (2015). An underexamined inequality cultural and psychological barriers to men's engagement with communal roles, Personality and Social Psychology Review, 19(4): 343–370. doi: 10.1177/1088868314564789
6. Dislere, V. (2012). Methodology structure for training teachers of Home economics and Technologies, Rural environment. Education. Personality. Proceedings of International Scientific Conference, 5, 201-208. https://llufb.llu.lv/conference/REEP/2015/Latvia-Univ-Agricult-REEP-2015proceedings.pdf
7. Donkin, L. (2001). Crafts and Conservation: Synthesis report for ICCROM. Available at: https://www.iccrom.org/sites/default/files/2017-12/iccrom_02_craftsandconservation_en.pdf (accessed on 10 of March 2021)
8. Elo, S.; Kyngas, A. (2008). The qualitative content analysis process. J. Adv. Nurs., 62, 107–115.
9. Etikan, I., Musa, S.M., Alkassim, R.S. (2016). Comparison of Convenience Sampling and Purposive Sampling, American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics, 5(1): 1-4. http://article.sciencepublishinggroup.com/html/10.11648.j.ajtas.20160501.11.html
10. Fan, K.-K., Feng, T.-T. (2019). Discussion on Sustainable Development Strategies of the Traditional Handicraft Industry Based on Su-Style Furniture in the Ming Dynasty, Sustainability: 11(7). doi: 10.3390/su11072008
11. Guilford, J. P. (1950). Creativity. American Psychologist, 5: 444-454. doi: 10.1037/h0063487
12. Guilford, J. P. (1968). Creativity, intelligence, and their educational implications. San Diego, CA: EDITS/ Robert Knapp.
13. Hong, J. C., Horn, J. S., Lin C. L., & Lin, Ch. (2008). Competency disparity between pre-service teacher education and in-service teaching requirements in Taiwan. International Journal of Educational Development, 28 (1): 4-20. doi: 10.1016/j.ijedudev.2006.12.004
14. Jakob, D. (2012). Crafting your way out of the recession? New craft entrepreneurs and the global economic downturn, Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 6(1): 127-140. doi: 10.1093/cjres/rss022
15. Jakob, D., Thomas, N.J. (2017). Firing up craft capital: the renaissance of craft and craft policy in the United Kingdom, International Journal of Cultural Policy, 23(4): 495-511 doi: 10.1080/10286632.2015.1068765
16. Kaufman, J.C., Plucker, J.A., Russell C.M. (2012). Identifying and assessing creativity as a component of giftedness. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 30(1): 60-73. DOI: 10.1177/0734282911428196
17. Kim K.H. (2017). The Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking - Figural or Verbal: Which one should we use? Creativity Theories – Research – Applications, 4, 302-321, 10.1515/ctra-2017-0015
18. Kim K.H., Cramond, B. Bandalos D.L. (2006). The latent structure and measurement invariance of scores on the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking – Figural Figural. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 66, 459-477, 10.1177/0013164405282456
19. Kim, K. H. (2006). Is Creativity Unidimensional or Multidimensional? Analyses of the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking. Creativity Research Journal, 18 (3): 251–259. doi: 10.1207/s15326934crj1803_2
20. Krathwohl, D. R. (2002). A revision of Bloom’s taxonomy: An overview. Theory into Practice 41 (4): 212.
21. Leclerc, R. (2017). Play, Think, Design: Play as a Means to Acquire and Enhance Design Thinking Skills. In Design Education for Fostering Creativity and Innovation in China (pp. 179-211). IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-0911-0.ch008
22. Moalosi, R., Popovic, V., & Hickling-Hudson, A. (2010). Culture-orientated product design, International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 20(2): 175-190. doi: 10.1007/s10798-008-9069-1
23. Patton, M. Q. (2002). Qualitative research & evaluation methods. Thousand Oaks (Calif.) [etc.], Sage Publications.
24. Paulus P.B., Brown V.R. (2007). Toward more creative and innovative group idea generation: a cognitive–social–motivational perspective of brainstorming. Social and Personality Psychology Compass 1(1): 248-265.
25. Pawłowski, A. (2007). Barriers in Introducing Sustainable Development – Ecophilosophical Point of View, Problemy Ekorozwoju/ Problems of Sustainable Development, 2(1): 59-65. https://ekorozwoj.pollub.pl/index.php/number-212007/barriers-in-introducing-sustainable-development/. ( accessed on 10 May of 2021).
26. Primary and Basic Education Framework Programme (Technologies) (2008). LR Ministry of Education, Vilnius.
27. Puryear, J. S., Kettler, T., & Rinn, A. N. (2017). Relationships of personality to differential conceptions of creativity: a systematic review. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, 11(1): 59-68. doi:10.1037/aca0000079
28. Robinson, O. C. (2014). Sampling in Interview-Based Qualitative Research: A Theoretical and Practical Guide. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 11 (1): 25-41. doi: 10.1080/14780887.2013.801543
29. Said-Metwaly S., Kyndt E., Van den Noodtgate W.(2020) The factor structure of the Verbal Torrance Test of Creative Thinking in an Arabic context: Classical test theory and multidimensional item response theory analyses. Thinking skills and creativity. 35. 1871-1871. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2019.100609
30. Said-Metwaly S., Fernández-Castilla B., Kyndt, W E., Van den Noortgate. (2018). The factor structure of the Figural Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking: A meta-confirmatory factor analysis. Creativity Research Journal, 30 pp. 352-360, 10.1080/10400419.2018.1530534
31. Scott, G. A. (2007). Teacher Quality: Approaches, Implementation, and Evaluation of Key Federal Efforts: GAO-07-861T. GAO Reports, 5 (17): 1-17. https://www.gao.gov/assets/120/116677.pdf
32. Smaling, A. (2003) Inductive, analogical, and communicative generalization. International Institute for Qualitative Methodology (IIQM), 2 (1): 52-67.
33. Statistics Estonia: Statistical database / Museums by Indicator and Year (2019): https://andmed.stat.ee/en/stat/sotsiaalelu__kultuur__muuseumid/KU05/table/tableViewLayout1 (accessed on 10 of March 2021).
34. Statistics Latvia: Official statistics portal / Activities of museums (2019): https://stat.gov.lv/en/metadata/8238-activities-museums/sims2 (accessed on 10 of March 2021).
35. Statistics Lithuania: Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Lithuania / Museums and Galleries (2019): https://lrkm.lrv.lt/en/activities/museums-and-galleries (accessed on 10 of March 2021).
36. Sun, M., Wang, M. Wegerif, R. (2019). Using computer‐based cognitive mapping to improve students' divergent thinking for creativity development. British Journal of Educational Technology 50: 2217-2233.
37. Torrance E.P. (2000). Preschool creativity. B.A. Bracken (Ed.), Psychoeducational assessment of preschool children (3rd ed.), Allyn and Bacon, Needham Heights, MA pp. 349-363.
38. Torrance, E. P. (1966). The Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking: Norms-technical manual Personal Press, Lexington, MA.
39. Torrance, E. P. (1974) Norms-technical manual, Torrance tests of creative thinking. Bensenville, IL: Scholastic Testing service.
40. Torrance, E. P. (1987). The nature of creativity as manifest in its testing. The blazing drive: The creative personality. Buffalo, N. Y, 43-76.
41. Torrance, E. P. (1995). Why fly? Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
42. Towards a sustainable Europe by 2030, https://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/beta-political/files/rp_sustainable_europe_30-01_en_web.pdf (accessed on 10 of March 2021).
43. Villanova A.L.I., Pina E Cunha M. (2020). Everyday Creativity: A Systematic Literature Review. Journal of Creative behaviour. 0 (0), 1–23. https://doi.org/10.1002/jocb.481
44. Wilhelm, S., Forster, R., & Zimmerman, A.B. (2019). Implementing Competence Orientation: Towards Constructively Aligned Education for Sustainable Development in University-Level Teaching-And-Learning, Sustainability: 11(7). doi: 10.3390/su11071891
45. Wood, S. (2011). Sustaining crafts and livelihoods: handmade in India, Craft + Design Inquiry, 3: 1-15. Doi:10.22459/CDE.03.2011.07
46. Yang, Y., Shafi, M., Song, X., & Yang R. (2018). Preservation of cultural heritage embodied in traditional crafts in the developing countries. A case study of Pakistani handicraft industry. Sustainability, 10: 1336. doi:10.3390/su10051336
47. Yerevan Communique (2015). Bologna Process, http://www.smm.lt/uploads/documents/Papildomas%20meniu2/Bolonijos_procesas/Communique.pdf. (accessed on 24 of October 2019).
48. Zmigrod, S. (2014). The role of the parietal cortex in multisensory and response integration: Evidence from transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS). Multisensory Research, 27(2): 161–172. DOI: 10.1163/22134808-00002449
Copyright (c) 2022 Ilona Valantinaite, Zivile Zivile Sedereviciute-Paciauskiene
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.