An Assessment of Land Use/Cover Suitable for Peri-urban Green Space Development: an Example of an Integration of GIS with the Multi-Criteria Analysis (MCA) Approach
Land allocation priorities to urban green cover are usually neglected particularly in the countries of developing economies such as Turkey. Lack of urban green space can cause many social and physical problems among the residents. Therefore, urban planning and policy should incorporate suitable green land in the urban planning of cities to optimise the benefits obtained from urban green spaces. Land suitability analysis is a commonly used methodology which provides a framework for developing strategies in the planning of green land development. Two different approaches will be utilised for the assessment of suitability of land uses for urban agriculture, forest and natural vegetation in the Pendik district of Istanbul. Standardisation of values in criteria maps was done using the deterministic approach in the first case whereas fuzzy membership was utilised as an alternative in the second case. Analytical Hierarchical Process (AHP) was used for the weighting of sub-criteria and map layers were overlaid using the weighted linear combination using the GIS software. Geophysical factors, transport and services accessibility, land cover/use, blue and green amenities, soil properties, geology and erosion susceptibility are the main criteria selected for the assessment of urban green land suitability. The provision of suitable land for urban agriculture, forest and natural vegetation uses will provide a framework to the land use planning and decision support aimed at contributing to urban sustainable development.
2. Ahamed, T. R. N., Rao, K. G., & Murthy, J. S. R. (2000). GIS-based fuzzy membership model for crop-land suitability analysis. Agricultural Systems, 63, 75–95.
Ahmadi, H. B., Petrudi, S. H. H., & Wang, X. (2016). Integrating sustainability into supplier selection with analytical hierarchy process and improved grey relational analysis: a case of telecom industry. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 90(9-12), 2413-2427.
3. Ahmadi, F. F., & Layegh, N. F. (2014). Integration of artificial neural network and geographical information system for intelligent assessment of land suitability for the cultivation of a selected crop. Neural Computing and Applications, 26(6), 1311-1320.
4. Akıncı, H., Ozalp, A. Y., & Turgut, B. (2013). Agriculture land use suitability analysis using GIS and AHP technique. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 97, 71–82.
5. Aliani, H., BabaieKafaky, S., Saffari, A., & Monavari, S.M. (2017). Land evaluation for ecotourism development-an integrated approach based on FUZZY, WLC, and ANP methods. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 14 (9), 1999–2008.
6. Aydi, A., Zairi, M., & Dhia, H. B. (2013). Minimization of environmental risk of landfill site using fuzzy logic, analytical hierarchy process, and weighted linear combination methodology in a geographic information system environment. Environmental Earth Sciences, 68(5), 1375-1389.
7. Aydi, A., Abichou, T., Nasr, I. H., Louati, M., & Zairi, M. (2016). Assessment of land suitability for olive mill wastewater disposal site selection by integrating fuzzy logic, AHP, and WLC in a GIS. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 188, 59.
8. Bagherzadeh, A., Gholizadeh, A., & Keshavarzi, A. (2018). Assessment of soil fertility index for potato production using integrated fuzzy and AHP approaches, Northeast of Iran. Eurasian Journal of Soil Science, 7(3), 203-212.
9. Baiocchi, V., Lelo, K., Polettini, A., & Pomi, R. (2014). Land suitability for waste disposal in metropolitan areas. Waste Management & Research, 32(8), 707-716.
10. Barakat, A., Hilali, A., El Baghdadi, M., & Touhami, F. (2017). Landfill site selection with GIS-based multi-criteria evaluation technique. A case study in Beni Mellal-Khouribga Region, Morocco. Environmental Earth Sciences, 76, 413.
11. Barreto-Neto, A. A., & de Souzo-Filho, C. R. (2008). Application of fuzzy logic to the evaluation of runoff in a tropical watershed. Environmental Modelling & Software, 23(2), 244-253.
12. Bikdeli, S. (2019). Redevelopment modelling for land suitability evaluation of the suburb brown-fields using fuzzy logic and GIS, northeastern Iran. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 22(7), 6213-6232.
13. Chagomoka, T., Drescher, A., Glaser, R., Marschner, B., Schlesinger, J., Abizari, A. R., Karg, H., & Nyandoro, G. (2018). Urban and peri-urban agriculture and its implication on food and nutrition insecurity in northern Ghana: a socio-spatial analysis along the urban-rural continuum. Population and Environment, 40, 27-46.
14. EEA (2018). Online Data and Maps. https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps.
15. Elaalem, M., Comber, A., & Fisher, P. (2011). A comparison of fuzzy AHP and ideal point methods for evaluating land suitability. Transactions in GIS, 15(3), 329-346.
16. Ennaji, W., Barakat, A., El Baghdadi, M., Oumenskou, H., Aadraoui, M., Karroum, L. A., & Hilali, A. (2018). GIS-based multi-criteria land suitability analysis for sustainable agriculture in the northeast area of Tadla plain (Morocco). Journal of Earth Systems Science, 127, 79.
17. Falasca, S. L., Ulberich, A. C., Ulberich, E. (2012) Developing an agro-climatic zoning model to determine potential production areas for castor bean (Ricinus communis L.). Industrial Crops and Products, 40, 185–191
18. Flora, F. M. I., Donatien, N., Tchinda, R., & Hamandjoda, O. (2021). Selection wind farm sites based on GIS using a Boolean method: Evaluation of the case of Cameroon. Journal of Power and Energy Engineering, 9(1), 1-24.
19. Gavrilidis, A. A., Nita, M. R., Onose, D. A., Badiu, D. L., & Nastase, I. I. (2019). Methodological framework for urban sprawl control through sustainable planning or urban green infrastructure. Ecological Indicators, 96(2), 67-78.
20. Giordano, C. L., & Riedel, P. S. (2008). Multi-criteria spatial decision analysis for demarcation of greenway: a case study of the city of Rio Claro, Sao Paulo, Brazil. Landscape and Urban Planning, 84(3-4), 301-311.
21. Hadipour, A., Vafaie, F., & Hadipour, V. (2014). Land suitability evaluation for brackish water aquaculture development in coastal area of Hormozgan, Iran. Aquaculture International, 23(1), 329-343.
22. Han, C., Chen, S., Yu, Y., Xu, Z., Zhu, B., Xu, X., & Wang, Z. (2021). Evaluation of agricultural land suitability based on RS, AHP, and MEA: A case study in Jilin Province, China. Agriculture, 11(4), 370.
23. Hanell, B., & Magnusson, T. (2005). An evaluation of land suitability for forest fertilization with biofuel ash on organic soils in Sweden. Forest Ecology and Management, 209, 43-55.
24. Hasnat, G. N. T., Kabir, Md. A., & Hossain, Md., A. (2018). Major environmental issues and problems of South Asia, particularly Bangladesh. In: Hussain, C. M. (Ed.), Handbook of Environmental Materials Management. Springer: Cham.
25. Ibrahim, G. R. F., Hamid, A. A., Darwesh, U. M., & Rasul, A. (2020). A GIS-based Boolean logic-analytical hierarchy process for solar power plant (case study: Erbil Governorate-Iraq). Environment, Development and Sustainability, 23, 6066-6083.
26. Ives, C. D., & Kendal, D. (2013). Values and attributes of the urban public towards peri-urban agricultural land. Land Use Policy, 34, 80-90.
27. Jamshidi-Zanjani, A., & Rezaei, M. (2017). Landfill site selection using combination of fuzzy logic and multi-attribute decision making approach. Environmental Earth Science, 76, 448.
28. Kadam, A., Rajasekhar, M., Umrikar, B., Bhagat, V., Wagh, V., & Sankua, R. N. (2021). Land suitability analysis for afforestation in semi-arid watershed of western Ghat, India: A groundwater recharge perspective. Geology, Ecology and Landscapes, 5(2), 136-148.
29. Keshavarzi, A. (2010). Land suitability evaluation using fuzzy continuous classification (a case study: Zaaran region). Modern Applied Science, 4, 10.
30. Lee-Smith, D. (2010). Cities feeding people: an update on urban agriculture in equatorial Africa. Environment and Urbanization, 22, 483-499.
31. Li, Z., Fan, Z., & Shen, S. (2018). Urban green space suitability evaluation based on the AHP-CV combined weight method: A case study of Fuping County, China. Sustainability, 10, 2656.
32. Li, G., Messina, J. P., Peter, B. G., & Snapp, S. S. (2017). Mapping land suitability for agriculture in Malawi. Land Degradation Development, 28(7), 2001–2016.
33. Lwasa, S., Mugagga, F., Wahab, B., Simon, D., Connors, J., & Griffith, C. (2014). Urban and peri-urban agriculture and forestry: Transcending poverty alleviation to climate change mitigation and adaptation. Urban Climate, 7, 92-106.
34. Maddahi, Z., Jalalian, A., Zarkesh, M. M. K., & Honarjo, N. (2014). Land suitability analysis for rice cultivation using multi criteria evaluation approach and GIS. European Journal of Experimental Biology, 4 (3), 639–648.
35. Maleki, F., Kazemi, H., Siahmarguee, A., & Kamkar, B. (2017). Development of a land use suitability model for saffron (Crocus sativus L.) cultivation by multi-criteria evaluation and spatial analysis. Ecological Engineering, 106, 140-153.
36. Mendas, A., & Delali, A. (2012). Integration of multicriteria decision analysis in GIS to develop land suitability for agriculture: Application to drum wheat cultivation in the region of Mleta in Algeria. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 83, 117-126.
37. Mistri, P., & Sengupta, S. (2020). Multi-criteria decision-making approaches to agricultural land suitability classification of Malda District, Eastern India. Natural Resources Research, 29, 2237-2256.
38. Nguyen, T. T., Verdoodt, A., Tran, V. Y., Delbecque, N., Tran, T. C., & Van Ranst, E. (2015). Design of a GIS and multi-criteria based land evaluation procedure for sustainable land-use planning at the regional level. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 200, 1-11.
39. Nurda, N., Noguchi, R., & Ahamed, T. (2020). Change detection and land suitability analysis for extension of potential forest areas in Indonesia using satellite remote sensing and GIS. Forests, 11, 398.
40. Orhan, O. (2021). Land suitability determination for citrus cultivation using a GIS-based multi-criteria analysis in Mersin, Turkey. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 190, 106433.
41. Özgül, N. (2012). Stratigraphy and some structural features of the Istanbul Palaeozoic. Turkish Journal of Earth Science, 21, 817–866
42. Park, S., Jeon, S., Kim, S., & Choi, C. (2011). Prediction and comparison of urban growth by land suitability index mapping using GIS and RS in South Korea. Landscape and Urban Planning, 99, 104–114.
43. Pilevar, A. R., Matinfar, H. R., Sohrabi, A., & Sarmadian, F. (2020). Integrated fuzzy, AHP and GIS techniques for land suitability assessment in semi-arid regions for wheat and maize farming. Ecological Indicators, 110, 105887.
44. Pramanik, M. K. (2016). Site suitability analysis for agricultural land use of Darjeeling district using AHP and GIS techniques. Modelling Earth Systems and Environment, 2, 56.
45. Qui, L., Zhu, J., Pan, Y., Hu, W., & Amable, G. S. (2017). Multi-criteria land use suitability analysis for livestock development planning in Hangzhou metropolitan area, China. Journal of Cleaner Production, 161, 1011-1019.
46. Ramya, S., & Devadas, V. (2019). Integration of GIS, AHP and TOPSIS in evaluating suitable locations for industrial development: A case of Tehri Garhwal district, Uttarakhand, India. Journal of Cleaner Production, 238, 117872.
47. Reshmidevi, T. V., Eldho, T. I., & Jana, R. (2009). A GIS-integrated fuzzy rule-based inference system for land suitability evaluation in agricultural watersheds. Agricultural Systems, 101, 101-109.
48. Romano, G., Dal Sasso, P., Liuzzi, G. T., & Gentile, F. (2015). Multi-criteria decision analysis for land suitability mapping in a rural area of Southern Italy. Land Use Policy, 48, 131–143.
49. Romeijn, H., Faggian, R., Diogo, V., & Sposito, V. (2016). Evaluation of deterministic and complex analytical hierarchy process methods for agricultural land suitability analysis in a changing climate. International Journal of Geo-Information, 5, 99.
50. Saaty, T. L. (2000). Fundamentals of decision making and priority theory with the Analytic Hierarchy Process. RWS Publications: Pittsburgh.
51. Saaty, T. L. (1997). A scaling method for priorities in hierarchical structures. Journal of Mathematical Psychology, 15, 234-281.
52. Saaty, T. L. (1990). An exposition of the AHP in reply to the paper ‘Remarks on the analytic hierarchy process’. Management Science, 36(3), 259–268.
53. Saaty, T. L. (1980). The analytic Hierarchy Process: Planning, priority setting, resource allocation. McGraw-Hill International: New York.
54. Sanchez-Lozano, J. M., Garcia-Cascales, M. S., & Lamata, M. T. (2016). Comparative TOPSIS-ELECTRE TRI methods for optimal sites for photovoltaic solar farms. Case study in Spain. Journal of Cleaner Production, 127, 387-398.
55. Seyedmohammadi, J., Sarmadian, F., Jafarzadeh, A. A., & McDowell, R. W. (2019). Integration of ANP and Fuzzy set techniques for land suitability assessment based on remote sensing and GIS for irrigated maize cultivation. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science, 65(8), 1063-1079.
56. Steinfeld, H., Gerber, P., Wassenaar, T., Castel, V., Rosales, M., & de Haan, C. (2006). Livestock’s long shadow. Environmental issues and options. FAO: Rome.
57. Shakya, B., Shrestha, A., Sharma, G., Gurung, T., Mihin, D., Yang, S., Jamir, A., Win, S., Han, X., Yang, Y., Choudhury, D., & Schneider, F. (2019). Visualizing sustainability of selective mountain farming systems from far-eastern Himalayas to support decision making. Sustainability, 11, 1714.
58. Tadesse, M., Negese, A., & Tejada Moral, M. (2020). Land suitability evaluation for sorghum crop by using GIS and AHP techniques in Agamsa sub-watershed, Ethiopia. Cogent Food & Agriculture, 6(1), https://doi.org/10.1080/23311932.2020.1743624
59. Tashayo, B., Honarbakhsh, A., Azma, A., & Akbari, M. (2020). Combined fuzzy AHP-GIS for agricultural land suitability modelling for a watershed in Southern Iran. Environmental Management, 66, 364-376.
60. Thapa, B. R., & Murayama, Y. (2008). Land evaluation for peri-urban agriculture using analytical hierarchical process and geographic information system techniques: A case study of Hanoi. Land Use Policy, 25, 225–239.
61. Ustaoglu, E., & Aydınoglu, A. C. (2020a). Suitability evaluation of urban construction land in Pendik district of Istanbul, Turkey. Land Use Policy, 90, 104783
62. Ustaoglu, E., & Aydınoglu, A. C. (2020b). Site suitability analysis for green space development of Pendik district (Turkey). Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 47, 126542.
63. Uy, P. D., & Nakagoshi, N. (2008). Application of land suitability analysis and landscape ecology to urban greenspace planning in Hanoi, Vietnam. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 7, 25-40.
64. Vavatsikos, A. P., Demesouka, O. E., & Anagnostopoulos, K. P. (2020). GIS-based suitability analysis using fuzzy PROMETHEE. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 63(4), 604-628
65. Wei, S., Bai, Z. H., Chadwick, D., Hou, Y., Qin, W., Zhao, Z. Q., Jiang, R. F., & Ma, L. (2018). Greenhouse gas and ammonia emissions and mitigation options from livestock production in peri-urban agriculture: Beijing-A case study. Journal of Cleaner Production, 178, 515-525.
66. Xu, K., Kong, C., Li, J., Zhang, L., & Wu, C. (2011). Suitability evaluation of urban construction land based on geo-environmental factors of Hangzhou, China. Computers & Geosciences, 37, 992-1002.
67. Yalew, S. G., van Griensven, A., Mul, M. L., & van der Zaag, P. (2016). Land suitability analysis for agriculture in the Abbay basin using remote sensing, GIS and AHP techniques. Modelling Earth Systems and Environment, 2, 101.
68. Yu, J., Chen, Y., Wu, J., & Khan, S. (2011). Cellular automata-based spatial multi-criteria land suitability simulation for irrigated agriculture. International Journal of Geographic Information Science, 25(1), 131-148.
69. Zadeh, I. A. (1965). Fuzzy sets. Information and Control, 8, 338-353.
70. Zezza, A., & Tasciotti, L. (2010). Urban agriculture, poverty, and food security: empirical evidence from a sample of developing countries. Food Policy, 35, 265-273.
71. Zhang, J., Su, Y., Wu, J., & Liang, H. (2015). GIS based land suitability assessment for tobacco production using AHP and fuzzy set in Shandong province of China. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 114, 202-211.
72. Zolekar, R. B., & Bhagat, V. S. (2015). Multi-criteria land suitability analysis for agriculture in hilly zone: Remote sensing and GIS approach. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 118, 300-321.
Copyright (c) 2022 E. Ustaoglu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.